Saturday 4 October 2008

Dangerous Liaisons v Cruel Intentions

On Friday night I thought I'd watch Dangerous Liaisons... as you do. It is a film made in 1988, set in France, and starred the likes of John Malkovich, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman and Keanu Reeves. I've been wanting to watch it for quite a while due to the fact that I have watched Cruel Intentions, which is a film based on Dangerous Liaisons. Cruel Intentions, to me, is arguably one of the best films of all time.

The basic plot of the film is as follows. Valmont (John Malkovich) decides he is going to seduce a married woman (Michelle Pfeiffer). Isabelle (Glenn Close) says that if he succeeds, he will have the luxury of exploiting her sexually, to put it one way. What I couldn't help thinking throughout the film was, why would he want to sleep with her... she was ugly.

Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons image

She reminded me of many Catherine Tate characters. The 'gay dear, who dear, me dear, no dear' character is a classic example.

Even though she isn't totally my cup of tea, Kathryn (Sarah Michelle Gellar) from Cruel Intentions is far sexier than Isabelle, the seductress she portrayed from Dangerous Liaisons.

 image

Overall Cruel Intentions appealed to me more so than its predecessor Dangerous Liaisons. The language in Cruel Intentions is easier to understand, and it is set in a modern city and era. Saying this it was amusing to see some of the references made by Cruel Intentions to this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment